Tuesday, May 18, 2010

when you were but an infant....

i gave you water and milk and love......
and the ability to place your head upon my heart.....
to breath my rhythm into your nostrils....
and hence, into your system....

when you were a toddler...
i gave you packets of tissues to blow that little nose with...
and sandwhiches from your favorite deli.....
and big birthday parties with 'un scary' clowns......
and the ability to place your head upon my heart......

when you were an adolescent.....
i gave you your first box of tampons...
and the chance to borrow (and keep!) my blow dryer.....
and i gave you magazines galore....
and still.....
 the ability to place your head upon my heart......

when you were a teen....
i gave you a phone....
and a computer....
and i kept tabs on you....
and i had your crazy friends over......
and i traveled with you.....
and still.....
i gave you my heart to rest upon......

and now......
you are grown.....
and i need to lay my head upon YOUR HEART.....
but alas.....
you are nowhere to be found....

so i lay my head upon my pillow.....
and i weep tears of sorrow and inequity.....

as the years go by....
and the time is lost 'in perpetuity'......

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...