Thursday, January 13, 2011

The old woman in front of the YESHIVA....

When i pick my son up from school...
as we near the corner on Park avenue..
there is an old, homeless woman who stands in the street EVERY, SINGLE DAY....
and begs for money...
day in and day out....
in the rain...in the snow...in the heat,,,
in truth, who knows whether she's really old...
or if she's just become old and weathered as a result of an impossibly hard life...

and more often than not,  i roll down the window of my car...
and i give her a few dollars...
and she thanks me gratuitously...
but what strikes me every time, is that she NEVER remembers me  !!
so she asks me over and over without a hint of familiarity or recognition...
she doesn't remember anything at all...
or so it appears...

and i wonder what the point really is.....
why she continues to WORK SO HARD at survival....
for it would appear, that she truly has nothing to live for...
nothing at all...
and she makes me PROFOUNDLY SAD...
the grey haired woman, begging outside the YESHIVA...
and so it goes...

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...