Thursday, February 17, 2011

I saw the same, old , beggar woman yesterday....

and as I sat in my shiny, new car...
the light turned RED...
and I was right next to her...
and she looked me DEAD in the eye....
and for the first time...
I looked away...
I couldn't look into her eyes...
I was frozen...
And hugely uncomfortable...
And upon examination of my "unusually" dispassionate behavior...
I began to consider the reality of the situation...
She stands there, on the corner of Park Avenue and 85th...
EVERY SINGLE DAY,
as I've mentioned to you before....
And certainly....
while I've NEVER been one of those flip people who say things like...
"Don't give them money ! They'll just buy alcohol, etc"....
it kind of irked me for the first time...
that I'm out there busting my ass...
in order to pay the bills...
and SHE just stands on the corner of a fancy street and collects...
And then...
I began considering...."What if it were ME ?"...
and the same old questions began to bubble up to the surface...
What does it TAKE for this kind of "deterioration of pride" to manifest itself ?
Do life circumstances become simply INTOLERABLE ?
Where is GOD ?
Hasn't this woman considered a CHANGE ?
Was she someone's executive secretary just last year ???
and so on..... and so on....

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...