Saturday, February 26, 2011

I was thinking about this roommate that I had in college...

and how I arrived in New York at 18 years old....
just a kid....
and actually pretty naive at that...
and I had this roommate...
(whom many of you know !)
and she kind of took me under her wings...
showed me everything....
was just as sweet as can be....
and I was basically alone in the big city....
Now this was Yeshiva University, mind you....
and I have ALWAYS TRUSTED people...
(obviously, to my own detriment...)
So I became BEST FRIENDS with her...
We were inseparable...
and I began to notice that my bank account,
 which my parents had set up for me....
was constantly running low....WEIRDLY low....
and I would NEVER have really pieced it together,
had it not been for this one day...
when I went to the school cafeteria for lunch....
and I paid at the register by check....
and the girl at the register said,
"YOU'RE TOBY GOTESMAN ?????"
and I said , "Yes, why ?"
and it appeared that my
"TRUSTED ROOMMATE"
 had been parading through the cafeteria as ME....
cashing MY CHECKS on a daily basis...
and I was devastated....
just earth shatteringly devastated....
That was an early BETRAYAL....
just recounting.....

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...