Thursday, February 10, 2011

Near Grand Central Station...

Near Grand Central Station there is a small, dilapidated,residential building...
The windows are all boarded up...
there is graffiti all over it...
and there are stray cats all around it...
And nothing RESIDENTIAL whatsoever exists in this location...
So I had passed by it MANY, MANY time over the years..
without actually NOTICING it....
Yet it somehow remained embedded
 within the memory of my PERIPHERAL MIND....
And something compelled me just the other day...
to take a CLOSER look...
So I parked the car...
and I walked surreptitiously over to the seemingly abandoned brownstone...
and as I approached, I heard the distinct sound of FRYING coming from the inside,,,
and honestly, it scared the SHIT outta me !
But I was overcome with curiosity....
and my 'investigative' self got the better of me...
so I wandered around to the back...
through the sludge and ice...
and LO and BEHOLD,
there was a window....
and through the window I saw a young woman standing over some kind of caldron....
and there was a fire insde of the caldron..
and YES....she was frying what looked like DOUGH or something....
and there were rats and mice around her feet...
and she was wearing a RED DRESS....not so tattered really...
and when the cooking was done, she took the pan off of the fire...
and she motioned to the RODENTS to come and eat it !!
And they SURROUNDED HER !!!
and I was stunned and revolted by the sight ....
and she began singing and dancing....
and I just RAN and got in my car....
and drove off as quickly as i possibly could....
I'll never drive past that place again....NEVER....
and now , i fear I will dream about it every night...
the scene haunts me...

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...