Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A man stood on 10th Avenue...

one spring morning...
hailing a taxi....(or at least ATTEMPTING to hail one!)
It was never easy to get a cab in Manhattan during rush hour...
It was chilly out...
So after a while, he put his FREE hand into his pocket to warm it up a bit....
and he felt a folded piece of paper inside....
That was odd///
He ALWAYS cleaned out his pockets...
He pulled it out, unfolded it......
And here's what it said:

Hank,
It's been a hard, hard few years....
With all the losses and money troubles, etc...
This note probably pegs me as a HUGE COWARD...
But I just couldn't do this face-to-face....
I've met someone else, and I'm leaving town with him this afternoon...for good....
I know that this may come as a shock to you...
Although I can't imagine that you would really care at this point....
Twenty years is a LONG time in which to constantly feel compromised...
I will be back to get the rest of my things in two weeks...
I have left a simple divorce agreement on the kitchen counter....
I don't WANT anything, so I'm guessing it will not be a contentious scenario....
I wish you luck and love and freedom....
Have a meaningful Passover...
Liz

The man, Hank, stood there FROZEN, PARALYZED on the side of the Avenue....
He didn't notice the speeding taxi coming towards him.....
He remembered being HIT....
The rest was a BLUR.....

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...