Sunday, May 1, 2011

One more thought on Holocaust Remembrance Day...

The memorials....The commemorations....
Yad Vashem, etc...
People traveling across the world to SEE and actually STAND IN AUSCHWITZ...
People ogling the striped, "prison uniforms" behing the glass encasements...
There is something that's always bothered me about this concept...
Let me try to explain...
I think 'NEVER FORGETTING' goes without saying....
OF COURSE,
the world can and will NEVER FORGET the heinous otrocities,,,,
the mass extermination...
the IMPLOSION of the world as we had known it...
OF COURSE....
But it seems to me that there is a certain
 'sensationalism' surrounding the HOLOCAUST as well...
I suppose it's really much like other historical events...both good and bad....
People tend to GLORIFY the occurances...
to make money from this very glorification..
And the victims and their families just kind of melt
into the landscape of SORROW and DEBRIS and COMMERCE....
Let me contemplate....
I will continue to try and formulate this message...
Please feel free to add YOUR thoughts....



IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...