Thursday, February 24, 2011

So I get into a cab today...

...headed for the rental car place....(because of the NEW car debacle)
and the driver starts saying, "Are you a MOVIE STAR???....
BLAH BLAH....
and I say, in my most elegant, "bull-in-a-china-shop-manner",
"ARE YOU A MUSLIM?"
and he says "yes.."
and I say' "How do you feel about GROUND ZERO?"
(at this point, you all know FULL WELL that I take NO PRISONERS!!)
furthermore....I dont give a SHIT about the fact that I'm alone in his cab...
In my mind, HE SHOULD BE FREIGHTENED !!
so he says, "Look....it's all politics...BLAH BLAH BLAH...."
"and people aren't familiar with the Muslim Faith....BLAH BLAH  BLAH BLAH...
and, of course, the mosque should be built there...WHY NOT ??"
And then he says something that has stuck in my craw for the last 5 hours...
He says....(I'm quoting now..),
"WE ALL KNOW for FACT...
that the nations of the world will ultimately HAVE TO BEND to ISLAM...."
"NEVER will ISLAM bend to the other nations...."
Well....WHAT CAN I SAY ???
The turbaned "schmuck" really got to me...
And I said....
"You say that this is FACT,
but do you really understand how utterly foolish and BACKWARDLY elitist you sound ???"
and after all, BUDDY,
MY people are the CHOSEN POPLE !!"
"YOURS ARE NOT !!"
"Did you steal the idea of being "CHOSEN" from US TOO...
 while you were attempting to steal our HOMELAND ????"
"ARE YOU ON CRACK ???"
and he starts to quote some scripture HOO HAA...
and I say, in a totally calm voice,
"I think that we ought to SHUT DOWN this conversation before somebody gets hurt !!"
and he goes, "buuut buuut..."
and I go, "SHUT IT DOWN, SIR!"
and he becomes silent....
and this exchange has haunted me all day......

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...