Friday, October 28, 2011

I really thought I'd seen EVERYTHING until.....

The Israeli Rastafarian walked in....
He had dreads down to his waste....
I assumed he was Caribbean ....Haitian or Jamaican or something....
And then he began speaking Hebrew !!
And I said, "WHAT ??!!"
OK, fine....whatever....
But here's the thing....
The guy was hired (by me!) to do a job in my house....
NOT to be my friend or my buddy or anything like that....
Just to do a job in the house....
And he had....mmm...How to say it ??
a kind of ARROGANCE about him....
a very UN PROFESSIONAL approach toward me and the job, etc.
And it made me think about cultural differences.....
about whether we are TAUGHT from our experience,
or whether this kind of PERSONALITY QUIRK is in our DNA....
or whether it is SIMPLY CULTURAL....
Whether living on a LIVE BATTLE FIELD forever makes one HARDENED.....CYNICAL....
and whether this hardening comes across as something like ARROGANCE....
because I'm PRETTY SURE that his MOTHER did not teach him to behave in that way....
Well....
Speculating is all....
SHABBAT SHALOM...

IS IT ALL RELATIVE ?

What makes a traumatic situation real and not somehow sensationalized or exaggerated ? What constitutes real trauma ? Is it all relative ? I...